Tuesday, July 16, 2024

ALL MIXED UP on The Rock Of New Jersey with THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE!

This past Sunday, it was my great pleasure to appear as Jim Monaghan's guest on his weekly radio show All Mixed Up. Jim is the host of WDHA Morning Jolt from 7 to 10 weekday mornings on 105.5 WDHA-FM, aka The Rock Of New Jersey. Jim's Sunday All Mixed Up series is more free-form; on last week's All Mixed Up, I heard Jim segue from Halestorm into the Kinks, and then interview Gerry Beckley from America. Yep, that's just the sort of eclectic forum for a discussion of my new book The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1).

It's always a kick for me to talk about rockin' pop music with someone who really knows rockin' pop music. Jim's a professional, but he's also a passionate fan of the music, and he's living proof that one can be both of those things at once. Our brief conversation flew by in no time, but it left room for Jim to ask me about my book and its general concept--an infinite number of records can each be THE greatest record ever made, as long as they take turns--as well as how I picked and sequenced the songs I wanted to write about. We stated our shared interests in the music of the Smithereens, the Cowsills, and the Monkees, I recounted a story I once read in MOJO magazine about the Beatles' "Rain," and Jim encouraged me to follow up The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1) with a Volume 2 and a Volume 3.

(Heh. "Encouraged?" Jim offered a few specific suggestions of songs I should address in these hypothetical future GREM! volumes, and I tell ya: They are really, really good suggestions. I just might write about all of 'em.)

Wanna hear the interview? Hell, wanna see the interview? Follow this link to read Jim's own hype for the segment, and then follow the internal link to a YouTube record of our Zoom chat. 

JIM! My man. I had a blast, and I can't thank you enough. All mixed up, and into the infinite!

If you like what you see here on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do), please consider a visit to CC's Tip Jar

My new book The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1) is now available for order; you can see details here. My 2023 book Gabba Gabba Hey! A Conversation With The Ramones is also still available, courtesy of the good folks at Rare Bird Books

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, streaming at SPARK stream and on the Radio Garden app as WESTCOTT RADIO. Recent shows are archived at Westcott Radio. You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment