Tuesday, October 8, 2024

MEET THE FRANTIKS! Chapter Four

                               

The next tentative step in what might turn out to be a novel someday. We have already seen Chapter One, Chapter Two, and Chapter Three. Chapter Four begins with the theme from the imaginary 1960s sitcom that's an essential part of our story.

And in such sleep, what dreams may come? My dream this weird night started with the theme song from Bobby's Angel. When it comes to catchy theme songs for TV sitcoms, let me tell you The Patty Duke Show had nothing on Bobby's Angel:

Bobby's Angel
Bobby's Angel
Bobby's Angel

Bobby's a boy
Angel's his joy
He's in love with his Angel next door
Angel's a girl
She's just out of this world!
And Bobby knows there's something more

Bobby's Angel is a real live Angel
Sent from Heaven with magic galore
Bobby's Angel is an extra-special Angel
And Bobby's crazy 'bout his Angel next door

Oh, Angel's got powers
And good luck is ours
Since Angel came here to stay
Angel's got magic
So nothing is tragic
Because Bobby's Angel
Bobby's Angel
Bobby's Angel
Will cast all our troubles away

I settled deeper into my bed. Relaxed. Sleeping. Dreaming. I may have heard a distant tune by the Frantiks. 

Everything was going to be all right! I knew it. Knew it. I would wake up and discover the past year had never happened. Dennis would emerge from the shower. Alive! We'd be happy. We would....

No. I'm sorry.

Angel's voice again.

I wish it could be that way. It can't.

The dream became troubled. I bolted upright in my bed, seized by fear, anxiety, rage, sadness, all at once. Panic. Desperation. An all-caps italicized exclamation-pointed ALONE! My heart raced. My breath grew short, nearly hyperventilating....

No, dear.

I wanted to scream in Angel's face. But she wasn't there. Only her voice was there.

You're not alone. We'll talk soon. Please rest. You are going to need your strength for what's ahead. Rest. Rest. Please. Just rest.

I slept through until morning.

If you like what you see here on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do), please consider a visit to CC's Tip Jar

My new book The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1) is now available, and you can order an autographed copy here. You can still get my previous book Gabba Gabba Hey! A Conversation With The Ramones from publisher Rare Bird Books, OR an autographed copy here. If you like the books, please consider leaving a rating and/or review at the usual online resources.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, streaming at SPARK stream and on the Radio Garden app as WESTCOTT RADIO. Recent shows are archived at Westcott Radio. You can read about our history here.

No comments:

Post a Comment