Thursday, October 17, 2024

The Current Comic Book Series I Buy


As I approach my 65th birthday in a few months, I remain a fan of comic books. I still pick up my haul of new comics at Comix Zone in North Syracuse each and every week, and while I buy them faster than I read them, I do read them, and I enjoy most of what I read. If I don't enjoy a book, I stop buying it. I'm not a comic book collector; I'm a comic book fan.

This is a list of current comic book series I'm buying and reading. The first issue of The Green Hornet/Miss Fury hasn't been published yet, but I'm a fan of its writer Alex Segura. Segura co-writes the Dick Tracy comic book; he also wrote a very cool novel (Secret Identity) set in the 1970s comic book industry, and he wrote the fabulous Archie Meets Ramones one-shot a few years back. And I've been interested in the Green Hornet since the 1967 TV series (and I even tried to write a Green Hornet story of my own), so I'm very much looking forward to checking this one out when it appears next month. 

Although not listed below, I'm also planning to sample the forthcoming return of the Justice League, and probably several other titles in DC Comics' All In initiative. Alas, I read the first issue of the new Absolute Batman, and sent it straight to my Goodwill stack. Dig what you dig.

And here's what I'm digging, or at least digging enough to keep buying:

Action Comics (DC)
Amazing Spider-Man {Marvel)
Babs (AHOY)
Batman (DC)
Batman And Robin (DC)
Batman And Robin Year One (DC)
Batman/Superman World's Finest (DC)
Birds Of Prey (DC)
Daredevil (Marvel)
Dick Tracy (Mad Cave)
Doctor Strange (Marvel)
The Domain (Image)
Fantastic Four (Marvel)
Green Arrow (DC)
The Green Hornet/Miss Fury (Dynamite)
Jonny Quest (Dynamite)
Nightwing (DC)
Plastic Man No More! (DC)
The Power Fantasy (Image)
Public Domain (Image)
Shazam! (DC)
Space Ghost (Dynamite)
Superman (DC)
Wonder Woman (DC)
The Wrong Earth: Dead Ringers (AHOY)
Zatanna: Bring Down The House (DC)


The list changes constantly. I would be hard-pressed to pick a favorite book, but the writing is what hooks me. I was impressed with writer Chip Zdarsky's work on the recent Batman # 150, which may be one of the fifty best Batman stories I've ever read. I'll need to revisit that notion down the line to see if the feeling holds, but the first chapter of Zdarsky's new serial beginning in Batman # 153 was very promising. I generally like Mark Waid's work, especially on Batman/Superman World's Finest, and I enjoy the zip of Zeb Wells' scripting in Amazing Spider-Man. If you love comics, there's a lot to love in comics.

Grow up, you say? That will not be happening. Don't want to. Won't need to. Ain't gonna.

If you like what you see here on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do), please consider a visit to CC's Tip Jar

My new book The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1) is now available, and you can order an autographed copy here. You can still get my previous book Gabba Gabba Hey! A Conversation With The Ramones from publisher Rare Bird Books, OR an autographed copy here. If you like the books, please consider leaving a rating and/or review at the usual online resources.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, streaming at SPARK stream and on the Radio Garden app as WESTCOTT RADIO. Recent shows are archived at Westcott Radio. You can read about our history here.

No comments:

Post a Comment