Wednesday, December 1, 2021

POP-A-LOOZA: POWER POP Q & A (Crib Notes From The Modern Pop Underground)

Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is called "Power Pop Q & A (Crib Notes From The Modern Pop Underground)."

The above-linked piece presents my responses to writer S. W. Lauden's questions about power pop, which Lauden used alongside similar material he collected from my friends and fellow pop enthusiasts Bruce Brodeen and John M. Borack in preparing his own piece, "Notes From The Modern Power Pop Underground." I was honored to be included, and I was touched when Jordan Oakes (primary auteur of the essential power pop magazine Yellow Pills and its attendant pop compilation albums) noted publicly in response to the article, "It's nice to see Carl included."

It is nice, and it was gratifying to be asked to participate in Lauden's research. I'm further gratified that John Borack saw fit to cite This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl as an essential rockin' pop resource. Thank you, sir! For more of my thoughts on this big li'l monster we call power pop, check out my history of power pop, my secret history of power pop (written with Gary Pig Gold), my Poptopia! Power Pop Classics Of The '90s liner notes, my Power Pop 101, my top ten power pop acts, my introduction to power pop in Bomp! magazine, my introductory piece for the 2003 East Coast International Pop Overthrow souvenir program book, and a few scattered Greatest Record Ever Made! entries about Badfinger, Big Star, the Raspberries, the Ramones, the Buzzcocks, the Romantics, and the Flashcubes

But we start with my answers to S. W. Lauden's questions about my power pop POV. "Power Pop Q & A (Crib Notes From The Modern Pop Underground)" is the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.

TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:


Volume 1: download

Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl.

No comments:

Post a Comment