Saturday, May 11, 2019

The Week In Review



So! What have I accomplished this week?

On Monday, I submitted a query to an agent whom I hope will decide to represent me and my proposed book The Greatest Record Ever Made. That book is my main project right now, but it will likely be dead in the water if I can't secure representation. 

As I wait to hear back from my prospective agent, I've continued to tweak the book, changing and rearranging the selections in pursuit of a better book overall. I still have 34 more chapters to write, but there are 66 chapters done and all supplemental chapters are done as well. That's for the first draft. Once I have a completed first draft, I'll start the honing and the rewriting. I've found that I enjoy that part of the process quite a bit, possibly more than any other part of writing. It feels less like drudgery and more like...I don't know, like something becoming real, becoming better. I'm not Dorothy Parker; I enjoy writing as much as I enjoy having written.

On Wednesday, I received word that I had sold another short story to AHOY Comics. That good news was sufficient inspiration for me to finish two more short stories on Thursday. I had been working on both of those stories already; one was a complete first draft in need of the essential honing referenced in the previous paragraph, and one was an unfinished notion that needed to be given shape. With those two, I have now completed seven new short stories in 2019. I've submitted three of those to AHOY, and sold two. More to come.

(For those scoring at home: the titles of the two stories that sold were "Guitars Vs. Rayguns" and "The Picture Of Amontillado," and they were both willfully silly. In between those two, "Dreaming Deadly" was somber and serious, and it did not sell. Lesson learned. Though I have two straight genre pieces done--"Sword Of The Chosen One" and "The Last Ride Of The Copperhead Kid"--it's clear that I'm having more success with humor. This week's stories continue with that lighthearted trend.)

As I work on my book and keep on writing short stories, I remain committed to this blog's daily schedule. I still plan to return to Boppin' The Whole Friggin' Planet (the long-form history of This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl), my rock magazine reminiscence He Buys Every Rock 'n' Roll Book On The Magazine Stands, an Everlasting First account of how I became a fan of The Shadow, and more. 

I have a lot to do. The only way to accomplish it is to keep writing. Lucky for me, it just so happens that I like doing that.




TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

Our new compilation CD This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, Volume 4 is now available from Kool Kat Musik! 29 tracks of irresistible rockin' pop, starring Pop Co-OpRay PaulCirce Link & Christian NesmithVegas With Randolph Featuring Lannie FlowersThe SlapbacksP. HuxIrene PeñaMichael Oliver & the Sacred Band Featuring Dave MerrittThe RubinoosStepford KnivesThe Grip WeedsPopdudesRonnie DarkThe FlashcubesChris von SneidernThe Bottle Kids1.4.5.The SmithereensPaul Collins' BeatThe Hit SquadThe RulersThe Legal MattersMaura & the Bright LightsLisa Mychols, and Mr. Encrypto & the Cyphers. You gotta have it, so order it here. A digital download version (minus The Smithereens' track) is also available from Futureman Records.

No comments:

Post a Comment