Saturday, December 5, 2020

POP-A-LOOZA! THE EVERLASTING FIRST: The Ohio Express

Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is my Everlasting First recollection of how I discovered the music of The Ohio Express.

The Everlasting First began over four years ago on this blog, intended as an A-Z series of reminiscences about my introductions to various pop music acts and fictional characters, with each letter of the alphabet represented by both a music entry and a comics or fiction entry. I should have finished the alphabet a long while ago, but I haven't yet gotten past the S entries: The Shadow in 2019, and The Sex Pistols in...man, 2018?! I am such a slacker....



I keep meaning to get back to this series, which should resume eventually with T is for TARZAN and then T is for THE TROGGS. Just haven't done it yet, but I will. I don't even remember who the "U" entries were supposed to be about--Uncle Scrooge? The Undertones?--but I know I would eventually get to Vampirella, The Velvet Underground, The Who, Wonder Woman, X-Men, probably XTC, mumble mumble, The Zombies, and Zorro. Or something like that.

While we wait for me to develop sufficient work ethic to complete this task, we can pause to look back at how hearing a song called "Yummy Yummy Yummy (I Got Love In My Tummy)" set various hijinks to ensue. The Everlasting First: The Ohio Express is the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.

TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.


The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:


Volume 1: download

Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

Carl's writin' a book! The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1)will contain 165 essays about 165 tracks, each one of 'em THE greatest record ever made. An infinite number of records can each be the greatest record ever made, as long as they take turns. Updated initial information can be seen here: THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE! (Volume 1). My weekly Greatest Record Ever Made! video rants can be seen in my GREM! YouTube playlist. And I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl.

No comments:

Post a Comment