Saturday, December 19, 2020

POP-A-LOOZA! Yoko Ono For Christmas

Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is my Yuletime recognition of how much John Lennon loved Yoko Ono, "Yoko Ono For Christmas."

I'm generally not a fan of Yoko's work. As always, one should dig what one digs. But I think Yoko herself is cool, and she and John clearly loved each other. This Sunday night, on The 22nd Annual This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio Christmas Show, Dana and I will once again play all seven of The Beatles' Christmas messages, shouting Matches! and Candles!, with a mutual responsibility to remember the buns. Yoko's in there, too.

In a previous Boppin' Pop-A-Looza, I talked about my affection for Yoko's "Kiss Kiss Kiss," the B-side to John's 1980 single "(Just Like) Starting Over." I have decided to add that piece as a chapter in my book The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1). Santa will not be bringing that book to anyone this year. This was, after all, a very naughty year. One hopes 2021 will be nicer. A fresh supply of sugarplums awaits.

An otherwise-unrelated post about my teen artwork made passing mention of John and Yoko's 1971 visit to Syracuse and my high school art teacher Richard DeAngelo:

There's also a story--perhaps apocryphal--that Mr. DeAngelo, as an active member of the local arts community, invited John Lennon and Yoko Ono to his house when Yoko's This Is Not Here exhibit was at the Everson Museum in 1971, and that they accepted his invitation. But I digress.

Can anyone with knowledge about John and Yoko's time in Syracuse confirm or deny that story?

In the mean time, I offer this holiday wish for you and yours, and for a misunderstood and underappreciated woman named Yoko: Happy Xmas--war is over (if you want it). "Yoko Ono For Christmas" is the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.

TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:


Volume 1: download

Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

Carl's writin' a book! The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1)will contain 165 essays about 165 tracks, each one of 'em THE greatest record ever made. An infinite number of records can each be the greatest record ever made, as long as they take turns. Updated initial information can be seen here: THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE! (Volume 1). My weekly Greatest Record Ever Made! video rants can be seen in my GREM! YouTube playlist. And I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl.

No comments:

Post a Comment