Thursday, December 31, 2020

BOPPIN's Monthly Day Off: Grandmaster and Melle Mel, "White Lines (Don't Don't Do It)


Once a month, Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) takes a brief pause in its sillyheaded schedule of daily public posting, and distributes a private post for just its paid subscribers. January's private post for patrons is another chapter from my book in progress The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1), this time discussing the book's only hip-hop entry: "White Lines (Don't Don't Do It)" by Grandmaster and Melle Mel.

And yeah, rap might seem a little bit outside my usual demographic. But in the '80s, I used to hear this song on the great New Music Radio WBNY-FM in Buffalo, programmed in alongside Echo and the Bunnymen and X, and it made perfect sense to me. Still does.

Regular daily public posting will resume tomorrow. You can become a paid supporter of this blog for as little as $2 a month: Fund me, baby!           

No comments:

Post a Comment