Thursday, December 17, 2020

POP-A-LOOZA: Hello There, Famous Person!

Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some post from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is my summary of celebrities I've unexpectedly encountered in public, "Well Hello There, Famous Person!"

The Pop-A-Looza post omits a paragraph about Rick James, so lets put it here for posterity:

Same Buffalo record store, also in '85. Punk funk superstar Rick James hurriedly strolled by the store one day, on his rapid way to anywhere-but-here, a trail of admirers shouting after him. (My wife Brenda also saw members of James' group The Stone City Band at the Buffalo airport while waiting for a flight to New York. And we both saw James in the audience at the above-mentioned Eddie Murphy show.)

I may do a sort-of follow-up piece eventually, about celebrities who gave me autographs ("Sign In, Please!"). Even if I omit Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, and the rest of the 1972 New York Yankees Old-Timers Day team and Superman creators Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, Batman co-creator Bob Kane, and other comic book superstars I met at a DC Comics convention in 1976, the list would include Gene Roddenberry, Harlan Ellison, Herman's Hermits, The Searchers, Peter Tork, John Sebastian, Micky Dolenz, Adam West, Gene Simmons and Bruce Kulick of KISS, Carmen Basilio, David Hadju, George Perez, and probably some others I'm forgetting in the moment. If I included autographs I received by mail, I could add Joan Jett (who signed the published two-page frontispiece spread for my 1994 Goldmine interview with her) and Stan Lee (who signed a copy of Origins Of Marvel Comics that I won from Marvel). 

But for now, let's talk about celebrities spotted randomly in the wild. "Well Hello There, Famous Person!" is the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.

TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.


The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:


Volume 1: download

Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

Carl's writin' a book! The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1)will contain 165 essays about 165 tracks, each one of 'em THE greatest record ever made. An infinite number of records can each be the greatest record ever made, as long as they take turns. Updated initial information can be seen here: THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE! (Volume 1). My weekly Greatest Record Ever Made! video rants can be seen in my GREM! YouTube playlist. And I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl.

No comments:

Post a Comment