Friday, July 8, 2022

My All-Time Top 20 Favorite TV Series


Writer Jordan Oakes recently posted a list of his all-time Top 10 favorite TV series. One could do worse than copying someone as cool as Jordan, so I slapped together my own list. 

(Except my list is twice as long. I didn't feel like narrowing my choices down to a mere 10. That would be, in the immortal words of Maynard G. Krebs, WORK...?!)

And, for all that, The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis didn't make my list.

The shows are not ranked, just listed alphabetically. My all-time # 1 is probably either The Good Place or maybe This Is Us. Or Jeopardy!, really. Batman, The Monkees, and Star Trek--a 1966 trifecta!--have had the most prevailing and pervasive influence on impressionable li'l me.

I'm an unabashed fan of television. I hate reality shows, but I do watch American Idol without shame (and without ever thinking it belongs on this list). I love game shows, though only Jeopardy! rises to the level of an All-Time Fave Rave. Syracuse University men's basketball games are also must-see TV for me, but that can't count as a TV series.

And there's a lot missing from this list. Hell, I probably forgot something I would have absolutely included if I were, y'know, actually thinking about it. It's important to note that I'm not under oath. From Get Smart to M*A*S*H to The Mary Tyler Moore Show to a number of Marvel Comics-based programs, my love of TV borders on the promiscuous. 

But there's no shame in that. These are the 20 I think I've loved the most.


The Adventures Of Superman
Batman
Batman: The Animated Series
Buffy The Vampire Slayer
The Dick Van Dyke Show
Gilligan's Island
Gilmore Girls
The Good Place
The Green Hornet
Jeopardy!
Mad Men
The Monkees
Pushing Daisies
Sherlock
Shindig!
St. Elsewhere
Star Trek
This Is Us
Veronica Mars
The West Wing

Why Gilligan's Island instead of Dobie Gillis? Alas, our Dobie's many loves included neither Ginger nor Mary Ann.


(And check here for an attempt at a comprehensive list of every TV series I've seen in its entirety.)


If you like what you see here on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do), please consider supporting this blog by becoming a patron on Patreonor by visiting CC's Tip Jar. Additional products and projects are listed here.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl


3 comments:

  1. I missed a lot of TV over the years we were able to travel around the Midwest (yes mostly as Midwest Guest) and then as Timmy got progressively too ill to travel, and the TV offerings in hospital and medical rehab places didn’t allow me to really regularly get involved with watching scripted shows , so the only one that is popping into my mind that I really enjoyed is “Northern Exposure”.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shows I go back to are; M*A*S*H, The Bob Newhart Show, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Honeymooners, Frasier and The Rockford Files. I'm sure there are more.

    ReplyDelete