Saturday, July 9, 2022

POP-A-LOOZA! VHS REWIND


Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is a celebration of my still-working VCR: "VHS Rewind."

I don't think I've written much else about VCRs or video tape. A brief record of my history with VCRs--first VCR and first VHS tape--was contained within the second chapter of a two-part Everlasting First sidebar edition (recently reprised here). These offer quick-take memories of my introductory experiences with a bunch of things (as either spectator or participant), from my first pulp magazine to my first published writing, my first issue of Playboy to my first kiss.

For those who don't wanna sift through my how-do-ya-dos to tacos, comic books, regular books, off-Broadway plays, James Bond movies, live sporting events, sushi, alcohol, airplane travel, girlie magazines, actual girls, rock concerts, corned beef sandwiches, and more, here's the VHS-relevant bit from the sidebar pieces:

FIRST VCR: An Hitachi 2-head VHS machine, which lovely wife Brenda and I purchased as a Christmas gift to ourselves in 1986, when we were nearing the unhappy end of our time in Buffalo.


FIRST VIDEO TAPE: If we don't count the copy of the Monkees' movie Head that my friend Deb Hannay recorded for me off Cinemax, my first video tapes were VHS copies of the Beatles on Ready Steady Go! and a collection of 1940s Superman cartoons.

When I was freelancing for Goldmine, I wrote a now-dated piece about rock 'n' roll DVDs. And I have a long-simmering plan to slap together a couple of VHS Cover Cavalcades, one each for superhero tapes and rock 'n' roll tapes. Meanwhile, "VHS Rewind" serves as the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.


If you like what you see here on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do), please consider supporting this blog by becoming a patron on Patreonor by visiting CC's Tip Jar. Additional products and projects are listed here.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment