Tuesday, July 19, 2022

THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE: Hit The Road Jack


Based on an entry in my 10 Songs series, this (unfinished) piece was intended to be a part of an earlier draft of my long-threatened book The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1), but was removed in subsequent plans.

An infinite number of tracks can each be THE greatest record ever made, as long as they take turns. Today, this is THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE!

RAY CHARLES AND HIS ORCHESTRA: Hit The Road Jack

Written by Percy Mayfield
Supervised by Sid Feller 
Single, ABC-Paramount Records, 1961

While I'm pleased that my concert-goin' resumé includes that one time I got to see Ray Charles perform live, I've gotta admit I wish his set had included my single favorite Ray Charles tune, "Hit The Road Jack."

Yeah. I was surprised he didn't play it either.

But he did play "What'd I Say" and "Georgia On My Mind," among many others, and it was Ray friggin' Charles, so you won't hear a peep of a complaint from me. It was an outdoor show at the New York State Fair, either late '80s or early '90s, the same free-with-Fair-admission concert series that gave me opportunities to see Brian Wilson, the Everly BrothersDon McLeanGene Pitney, Joan Jett and the BlackheartsChicago, Micky Dolenz and Davy JonesPaul Revere and the RaidersLittle Big Town, Lady Antebellum, various oldies package shows (featuring performers from Bo Diddley to Cub Koda to Alex Chilton), and Earth, Wind and Fire over a span of decades. This is not a complete list. 

I'm not sure, but I think--I think--my one Ray Charles show occurred prior to the early '90s Diet Pepsi commercials that earned Charles another notch on his pop culture c.v. You've got the right one, baby. Ray friggin' Charles. I'm okay with him skipping "Hit The Road Jack."

If you like what you see here on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do), please consider supporting this blog by becoming a patron on Patreonor by visiting CC's Tip Jar. Additional products and projects are listed here.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment